Monday, 15. September 2014
- DIMA colleagues at VLDB 2014
- © DIMA
- Uwe Jugel and Marcus Leich at VLDB 2014
- © DIMA
This year’s VLDB conference  took place in Hangzhou, China. For DIMA, this particular conference was a major success. Accompanying Prof. Markl, in attendance, there were four graduate students (Max Heimel, Marie Hoffmann, Uwe Jugel, Marcus Leich), one postdoc (Asterios Katsifodimos), and a soon to be postdoc (starting October 2014), Chen Xu. Overall, the group presented two full research papers, one journal paper, two demo papers, and two workshop papers. Below we list some highlights:
- Prof. Markl was invited to give a keynote together with SAP co-founder Hasso Plattner. In his keynote, Prof. Markl stressed the need for a declarative data analysis language that supports deep analysis and scalable execution .
- In the Research Track, Asterios Katsifodimos presented his work on resource efficient data dissemination; work he did jointly with peers from IBM Almaden and INRIA .
- Uwe Jugel (jointly with colleagues from SAP
Dresden) presented his research paper on M4, a fast data visualization
approach . He also demonstrated the M4 prototype in a demo session
. For his work on efficient visualization of very large data sets,
Uwe received a VLDB Best Paper Award.
- Max Heimel demonstrated Ocelot/HyPE, an adaptive database system for hetero-genous hardware, which was created jointly with researchers from TU Dortmund, Parstream, and the University of Magdeburg .
- Marie Hoffmann presented her work on parallel data generation with composite keys at the TPCTC workshop .
- Marcus Leich introduced his work on debugging techniques for distributed data processing programs at VLDB’s PhD workshop . Additionally, Marcus received a VLDB PhD Workshop Best Paper Award.
- In the poster session, group members presented a VLDB journal paper on Stratosphere (now Apache Flink); work that was carried out jointly with colleagues from HU Berlin and HPI Potsdam .
- Konstantinos Karanasos, Asterios Katsifodimos, Ioana Manolescu: Delta: Scalable Data Dissemination Under Capacity Constraints. PVLDB 7(4): 217-228 (2013).
- Uwe Jugel, Zbigniew Jerzak, Gregor Hackenbroich, Volker Markl: M4: A Visualization-Oriented Time Series Data Aggregation. PVLDB 7(10): 797-808 (2014).
- Uwe Jugel, Zbigniew Jerzak, Gregor Hackenbroich, Volker Markl: Faster Visual Analytics Through Pixel-Perfect Aggregation. PVLDB 7(13): 1705-1708 (2014).
- Sebastian Breß, Max Heimel, Michael Saecker, Bastian Kocher, Volker Markl, Gunter Saake: Ocelot/HyPE: Optimized Data Processing on Heterogeneous Hardware. PVLDB 7(13): 1609-1612 (2014).
- Marie Hoffmann, Alexander Alexandrov, Periklis Andritsos, Juan Soto and Volker Markl: Composite Key Generation on a Shared-Nothing Architecture, Sixth TPC Technology Conference on Performance Evaluation & Benchmarking (TPCTC 2014).
- Marcus Leich: Runtime Analysis of Distributed Data Processing Programs, VLDB PhD Workshop 2014.
- A. Alexandrov, R. Bergmann, S. Ewen, J. C. Freytag, F. Hueske, A. Heise, O. Kao, M. Leich, U. Leser, V. Markl, F. Naumann, M. Peters, A. Rheinländer, M. J. Sax, S. Schelter, M. Höger, K. Tzoumas, and D. Warneke: The Stratosphere Platform for Big Data Analytics, The VLDB Journal, 2014.
- Volker Markl: Breaking the Chains: On Declarative Data Analysis and Data Independence in the Big Data Era. PVLDB 7(13): 1730-1733 (2014).