Inhalt des Dokuments
The DIMA Team 
- © Volker Markl
A lively group of researchers, administrators, and entrepreneurs.
DIMA at VLDB 2021 
- DIMA - Team
- © Volker Markl
Great DIMA presence at the leading data management conference.
AI institute BIFOLD established in Berlin 
- © TU Berlin / Felix Noak
The AI Competence Centers BBDC and BZML merge into the new beacon project BIFOLD.
Sundar Pichai visited TU Berlin 
- © TU Berlin/PR/Felix Noak
Prof. Volker Markl and Google CEO Sundar Pichai discussed Artificial Intelligence.
From Student to IT Executive 
- © Daniel Reinhardt
DIMA supports students' career plans via the Software Campus Program.
DIMA Course Offerings for the Summer Term 2022
For details on DIMA course offerings, schedules and registration methods for the Sommer Term 2022, please read the DIMA Course Offerings 2022 document here: Schedule_SS_2022.pdf 
4:15pm BIFOLD Research Colloquium: "The
New DBfication of ML/AI" Arun Kumar
(University of California) 
- ICDE 2022 Best Demo Award at ICDE 2022
- The paper „Materialization and Reuse Optimizations for Production Data Science Pipelines“ has been accepted for publication at SIGMOD
- 04/04/2022: 3:00 pm. "Intelligent Data Assistants: Democratizing Data Access" by Georgia Koutrika (Athena Research Center Greece)
- 28/02/2022: 4:30 pm. BIFOLD Colloquium: "State Management in Cloud-Native Streaming Systems" by Yingjun Wu (Singularity Data)
- The Paper "Efficient Specialized Spreadsheet Parsing for Data Science" was Accepted for Presentation at DOLAP 2022 
- 24/01/2022: 4:00 pm. BIFOLD Colloquium: "The evolution of Apache Kafka" (Jun Rao, Confluent) 
- 14/02/2022: 4:00 pm. BIFOLD Colloquium: "Apache Flink - From Academia into the Apache Software Foundation and Beyond" (Fabian Hüske, Snowflake) 
- 06/01/2022: 2 pm - 2:30 pm.
BIFOLD Research Talk: "Darwin: Scale-In Stream Processing"
(Lawrence Benson, HPI) 
- Three DIMA Papers
Accepted for Presentation at SIGMOD 2022 
- [postponed] BIFOLD Colloquium:
"Storing and Analyzing Viral Sequences through Data-driven
Genomic Computing" (Prof. Stefano Ceri, Politecnico di
„European Data Sovereignty is a critical success factor“ 
- Prof. Dr. Volker Markl
- © Eric Schmidt
On March 23, 2021, 09:00-12:00 CET, the European Committee Artificial intelligence in a Digital Age (AIDA) organized a hearing on “AI and Competitiveness”. BIFOLD Co-Director Prof. Dr. Volker Markl was invited to give an initial intervention for the second panel on “How to build a competitive and innovative AI sector? What are EU enterprises challenges in entering AI markets, by developing and adopting competitive AI solutions?”
TU Berlin & DFKI Database Systems Researchers Receive SIGMOD 2020 Best Paper Award 
Database systems researchers at TU Berlin and DFKI (German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence) were highly successful this year. Four of their papers were accepted at the 2020 ACM SIGMOD/PODS International Conference on the Management of Data. And, in particular, one of the paper’s received the 2020 ACM SIGMOD Best Paper Award. The paper entitled “Pump Up the Volume: Processing Large Data on GPUs with Fast Interconnects,” by Clemens Lutz, Sebastian Breß, Steffen Zeuch, Tilmann Rabl (now at HPI), and Volker Markl explores the use of GPUs to accelerate database query processing.
OfficeDatabase Systems and Information Management
+49 30 314 23555
Fax +49 30 314 21601
mon, tue, thu
10 - 12
Office closed: wed, fri
Appointments / General InquiriesTo request an
appointment or for
Student Advisory ServiceJuan Soto
Monday 01:30-02:30 pm
Phone: +49 30 31423551